SCOIL MAELRUAIN SINSEAR
POLICY ON ELECTRONIC DEVICES
This policy was initially drafted by the teaching staff of Scoil Maelruain Senior, on 21st of March, 2003, during our School Development Planning Day. It was submitted to the Board of Management and the Parents’ Representatives there-on on the 7th of April, 2003. After consulting with the various partners, the policy was finalised and approved by the Board of Management on the 19/5/2003. Reviewed in 2010 and 2014.
The policy is necessary to regulate the use of mobile phones and all electronic devices by the students in the school.
Electronic devices include, but are not limited to: Mobile phones, cameras, Ipods, tablets and other devices that may or may not be used to communicate and access the internet.
1. To clarify for the School Community, the use and possession of electronic devices, by
the students in the school.
2. To ensure that electronic devices do not interrupt or interfere with the students’ school
work and school life.
3. To avoid the misuse of electronic devices by students.
v Mobile phones are permitted in our school. All pupils may have a mobile phone, for which the children are responsible.
v No other electronic devices are permitted in Scoil Maelruain Senior.
v The school accepts no responsibility for replacing lost, stolen or damaged mobile phones.
v Mobile phones must be switched off on entering school grounds and may be turned on again at 2:45p.m.
v Mobile phones will be stored in children’s school bags.
v Mobile phones may only be used in exceptional circumstances, between 9:05 and 2:45, with the teacher’s permission or the Principal’s permission.
v Children are not allowed bring mobile phones to the yard.
v Mobile phones may be brought on school tours, subject to the same rules – no usage
without teacher’s permission.
v Sanctions will follow the breaking of school rules relating to mobile phones.
There will be:-
- confiscation by teacher till home time and a verbal warning
- confiscation by teacher till home time and a note home
- confiscation, call to parents – they can collect it at their convenience from office
- repeated offences will lead to confiscation by school principal and a ban against having a mobile
Roles and Responsibility:
This policy will be supported, developed and implemented by the staff with the full support of the Board of Management.
Timeframe for Implementation:
Timeframe for Review:
Reviewed and amended March 2016. N. Dunning, J. Lucas, N. Nolan, F. Callaly,
Responsibility for Review:
a) Teaching Staff
c) Board of Management
C. Hogan will co-ordinate the review.
SANCTIONS FOR MISUSE OF MOBILE PHONES
1. CONFISCATION BY TEACHER TILL HOME TIME AND A VERBAL WARNING
2. CONFISCATION BY TEACHER TILL HOME TIME AND A NOTE HOME
3. CONFISCATION, CALL TO PARENTS – THEY CAN COLLECT IT AT THEIR CONVENIENCE FROM OFFICE
4.REPEATED OFFENCES WILL LEAD TO CONFISCATION BY SCHOOL PRINCIPAL AND A BAN FROM HAVING A MOBILE PHONE IN SCHOOL.
SANCTIONS FOR MISUSE OF OTHER ELECTRONIC DEVICES
1. CONFISCATION BY TEACHER TILL HOME TIME AND A NOTE HOME
2. CONFISCATION, CALL TO PARENTS – THEY CAN COLLECT IT AT THEIR CONVENIENCE FROM OFFICE