The Active Week prize giving ceremony was held on the last day of Active Week. All teachers chose someone from their class to win a “Active Sportsperson” cup in recognition of their participation and sporting qualities during the week. The winners of the art competition were also announced with the overall prize awarded to Robyn Gillespie for her fantastic Scoil Maelruain Active Flag design. Congratulations to all the winners and a big thank you to all the teachers, parents and students for helping out during the week.
Well done to everyone who organised and took part in this years Talent Show. Check out these fantastic photos taken by George, our school photographer.
Well done to the Senior Boys Hurling team who took part in the Hurling final in Croke Park today. They gave it their all in the match but unfortunately we did not get the win we all wanted. Thanks to the boys, Mr Moore and Mr. De Paor who all put in so much hard work during the year to get us to the final. Well done to all the great supporters who cheered the boys on in Croker and welcomed them home with a fitting guard of honour for our team.
On February 2nd our school basketball teams traveled to the National Basketball Arena in Tallaght to compete in the league finals. All of the sixth classes also came to give us some support. Both teams played very well and we all had a great day!
On the 24th October we had our annual Halloween Fancy Dress and Art competition. We encourage families to get together and make their own costumes and Halloween art. This year we had lots of really original and creative ideas. The school entrance was decorated with fabulous art from all classes. The Fancy Dress competition was one of the best yet with vampires, ghouls, clowns, minions and Minecraft characters and so many other original ideas. Even Bernard and other staff members joined in the fun. We raised money in memory of Christine Kiernan, our school secretary who passed away this time last year. Thanks to all those who supported the cause, the money will go towards St John of God’s Centre and Christine’s son who has special needs.
Here below you can see some photos of the Halloween art competition and the Fancy dress winners. Well done to everyone who took part.
“Congratulations to all our winnners in our recent Parents’ Association Easter Raffle. We raised over 3,000 euros for school equipment. Many thanks to all our sellers and donators.”
Scoil Maelruain S.N.S. Parents’ Association.
Prizes (and Winners in brackets)
- €100 Voucher Johnnie Foxes -Dinner for 2 people. (Tanya Lee). Seller Sebastian
- B&B Voucher for 4 people Commodore Hotel, Cobh, Co. Cork (Anne Lawlor) Seller Eva
- School Buds Photoshoot @ home for 1 hour + 18″x12″ photo; value €150.00 (Martin Boyle) Seller Leighton
- Golf Lessons to the value of €125 Hollystown Golf Club (B. Kenny)Seller Lily-Rose
- Kingsbury Furniture – Glass Wall art (Aimee Boylan) Seller Grace
- Gin Thai Restaurant Voucher – Dinner for 2 people. (Adam Fortune) Seller Adam
- €70 Lego Set and Lego-shaped storage box (John Connolly) Seller Nicole
- €50 Hair Voucher from Nua Hair Salon, Marlfield (Emma Philips) Seller Emma
- €50 Hair Voucher from Nua Hair Salon, Marlfield (Eric Johnson) Seller Adam
- Civic Theatre tickets to “DIG” X 2 for 16.04.2014 (Julie Shijo) Seller Albi
- Complimentary round of golf at Stackstown Golf Club (Tomás O’Neill) Seller Tomás
- Shamrock Rovers F.C. Match tickets x 4 for 21.04.2014; Rovers vs Bray (Tony Dunne) Seller Adam
- Shamrock Rovers F.C. Match tickets x 4 for 21.04.2014; Rovers vs Bray (Alanna Hogan) Seller Derek
- Shamrock Rovers F.C. Match tickets x 4 for 21.04.2014; Rovers vs Bray (Declan Nolan) Seller Niamh
- Shamrock Rovers F.C. Match tickets x 4 for 21.04.2014; Rovers vs Bray (Tenla Palden) Seller Tenla
- Shamrock Rovers F.C. Match tickets x 4 for 21.04.2014; Rovers vs Bray (Denise O’Neill) Seller Herbie
- Westpark Fitness – 1 Month membership (Martin Scully) Seller Josh
- Westpark Fitness – 1 Month membership (Gavin Hamilton) Seller Chelsea
- Kingsbury Furniture – voucher €100 ( E.McNulty) Seller Casey
- School Supply Centre – Hamper (Liam Nugent) Seller Liam
- Fast Fix, The Square – photo frame ( Jackie Nolan) Seller Ben
- Sharpe Hair Studio – wash and blowdry (Michelle Corcoran) Seller Darragh
- Bliss Hair and Beauty – nail file and polish (Julie Robbins) Seller Breianna
- Safety work jacket (Andy Lawlor) Seller Lauren
- Supervalu, Aylesbury – hamper (Nikke Cowzer) Seller Nikki
- Mantle Clock ( Preston Walsh) Seller Emily Whelan
- Teddy Bear Photo frame 6″ (Carmel Gilson) Seller Hannah
- Teddy Bear Photo frame 6″ (Maria Walsh) Seller Seán
- Teddy Bear Photo frame 6″ (Betty Curran) Seller Siobhán
- Sisters Boutique – girl’s summer dress (Karen Nolan) Seller Carla
- Bernard and Ellen Cullen – beauty products hamper (Mary Farrell) Seller Becky
- Breathnach Bargains – Giant Easter Egg (Sophie Phelan) Seller Holly
- Tallaght Adventure World – family passes x 1 (Sandra Flanagan) Seller Jamie
- Rhona McCarton – chocolate biscuit cake (Pat Cowzer) Seller Nikki
- Regans Pharmacy, Old Bawn – 1D Watch (Reet Reiman) Seller Laurence
- Wilsons Butchers, St. Dominic’s S.C. €20 Voucher (Stephanie Cooney) Seller Ava
- Nyhan Brothers Butchers, The Square, €20 voucher (A.Williams) Seller Eva
- D’Arcy Magees @ Spawell, €20 voucher (Michelle Farrell) Seller Dylan
- Newbawn Pharmacy – gift set (Eoin Kieran) Seller Cormac
- Tallaght Adventure World, Family passes x 1 (Dr. Damien) Seller Adam
- Tallaght Adventure World, Family passes x 1 (Sarah Harte) Seller Sarah
- Tallaght Adventure World, Family passes x 1 (Adrian Sugrue) Seller Craig
- ENRG – Family pass (Siobhán Brennan) Seller Laurence
- Bottle of Wine donated by Jackson family (Robert Lambert) Seller Anna
- Box of “Heroes” Chocolates (Rory Connolly) Seller Jane
Your support is greatly appreciated.
Well Done to Our Credit Union Teams for 2014. They represented our school exceptionally well and did us all proud. We had six teams representing Scoil Maelruain. We would like to thank them all for their hard work. We would also like to thank our substitutes (Darragh Corcoran and Sean Corcoran) who were on hand if we needed them!
On the 8th of April we held our annual talent show. Acts from all 5th and 6th classes took part. Planning for the show had been taking place over the last number of weeks under the direction of Ms McHugh. After all their preparation the standard of the acts was extremely high. The show was a huge success and the competition was tight. After much deliberation by our judges (Ms M Murphy, Ms Biesty and past pupil Scott Eccles) the winners were announced.
And the winners are ……
1st place – Thelmar Chanakira
2nd place – Kacey O’Dowd and Hannah Gilson
Joint 1st place Mileaha McCarton, Siobhán Byrne and Victoria Babilola
Special recognition: The Awesome Crew
A huge thanks to all who took part. Thank you too to our audience, all the parents and grandparents who attended and a special thanks to Ms McHugh, without whose hard work the show would not have been possible.
Check out the fantastic winning outfits from this Halloween and well done to everyone in the school who made the effort to dress up.